The low-Fodmap Diet can be tricky to follow especially if you are not careful enough with what products you buy. There are gluten-free breads that are wheat free but have FODMAPs. Ingredients with FODMAPs found in bread and/or flours are:honey, agave, chicory root extract (inulin), soybean or other bean flours (like garbanzo), apple or pear juice concentrate, dates, figs.
To make your journey with the low-Fodmap Diet a bit easier, I asked Registered Dietitians and other FODMAPs experts from the U.S. and the U.K. what kind of bread and flours they like most – have a look!
Breads with Low-Fodmap Ingredients
EA Stewart, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, of Del Mar (San Diego) CA likes Udi’s White Sandwich Bread which consists of: Water, tapioca starch, brown rice flour, canola oil, egg whites, potato starch, modified food starch, tapioca maltodextrin, dried cane syrup, tapioca syrup, yeast, gum (xanthan gum, sodium alginate, guar gum), salt, locust bean gum, cultured corn syrup solids and citric acid (mold inhibitor), enzymes. Contains egg.
Flours with Low-Fodmap Ingredients
Kate Scarlata Registered and Licensed Dietitian in Boston, MA likes:
- King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour: white rice and whole-grain (brown) rice flours, tapioca starch, and potato starch.
- Namaste Perfect Flour Blend: Sweet brown rice flour, tapioca starch, arrowroot powder, sorghum flour, xanthan gum.
Mel Rendall and Lee Martin, two Registered Dietitians (RD) from London like to make gluten-free flatbread using Dove’s Farm. This gluten-free white bread flour is a flour blend (rice, potato and tapioca) and xanthan gum.
Low-Fodmap Bread Recipe
- 1.5 cups white rice flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¾ cup tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh yeast granules
- Place everything in a breadmaker and put it on the dough setting.
- I wanted it to rise more than the breadmaker allowed so I removed it when it was mixed, placed it in an oiled loaf tin and placed it in the drawer under the oven to stay warm for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until it sounds hollow when you knock the top with a knuckle.
- Let sit in the loaf tin for 5 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.
- Let cool completely before slicing.
Love Us, Follow Us and Subscribe!