When I first started the low-FODMAP diet in 2013 I will admit, just like for everyone else who starts the diet, it was hard. I knew I had to start planning my lunches. I couldn’t just grab whatever from a cafe, restaurant or the grocery store. I couldn’t just throw together whatever I had in my kitchen. So I started planning my lunches ahead of time to bring to work or have ready on the weekends. I started to see how many low-FODMAP options I had and then planning became fun, and it can be for you too, you’ll just have to trust me 🙂
In this post, I am going to share easy low-FODMAP lunch recipes as well as some meal planning tips. Whether you like different types of meat, eggs, fish, tofu, tempeh or vegetables, there’s something here for everyone. All recipes are based on a serving for one person. Let’s start with my favorite, sandwiches.
Choose low-FODMAP bread for your sandwiches. You can view your options on my Grocery List or on FODMAP apps such as FODMAP Friendly and Monash.
- Turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and cheese OR bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo OR ham, cheddar, and mustard
- Chicken Pesto sandwich – mix 1 Tbsp. pesto with 1-2 oz. cubed mozzarella and cherry tomatoes, Place in between bread.
- PB & J sandwich with 1-2 teaspoons strawberry jam* and up to 2 Tbsp. peanut butter. Grilled is even better!
- Cheeseburger wrap – cook lean ground beef and add to wrap with cheddar cheese, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. Use leftover meat to for dinner in a stirfry, with gluten-free pasta
Low-FODMAP Salads & Bowls
- Cobb: 1 hardboiled egg, 1 turkey bacon slice crumbled, 3 oz. skinless, boneless chicken, 1/4 c cherry tomatoes, 1 oz. crumbled feta cheese, bibb lettuce, romaine lettuce, dressing of extra-virgin olive oil mixed with lemon juice and herbs.
- Greek: 1 oz. feta cheese, 5 black olives, 1/4 c cherry tomatoes, 3-5 slices cucumber, romaine lettuce. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with oregano, and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Squash and Orzo: Sauté zucchini, yellow squash, and the green tips of scallions in olive oil until tender. Toss with cooked gluten-free orzo, parsley, dill, goat cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Pasta Caprese: Mix chilled cooked gluten-free fusilli, diced mozzarella, chopped tomatoes, basil, and toasted pine nuts; season with salt and pepper.
- Brown Rice Salad with Grapes and Pecans – cooked brown rice with up to 1 cup grapes, halved, 5 pecan halves, romaine lettuce and drizzled with rice wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil, spicy brown mustard, salt and pepper.
- Bistro Bacon Salad: Chop and fry bacon; combine the drippings with 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss with mesclun greens; top with the bacon and a poached egg.
- Strawberry Blueberry Spinach: mix 5 chopped strawberries with 10 blueberries, 1-2 cups of baby spinach, 4 walnut halves, 1 oz. crumbled goat cheese. In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar, 1/2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, cracked black pepper and drizzle over salad.
- Steak Salad with Mint-Scallion Dressing (made with low-FODMAP ingredients)
- Crab-Salad: Mix lump crabmeat with 1/4 stalk diced celery, tarragon, and chives. Toss with mayo, lactose-free sour cream, lemon juice, and mustard; serve on top of bibb lettuce.
- Oranges with Mozzarella: Stack mozzarella and orange slices with basil. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Pasta Salad with Arugula and Goat Cheese – mix together gluten-free pasta (like rotini) with arugula, crumbled turkey bacon, goat cheese and 1/4 cup (drained and rinsed) chickpeas. Make dressing: In a bowl, whisk together extra-virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, and mustard; season with salt and pepper.
- Sun-Dried-Tomato Pasta Salad – ***Omit garlic and use gluten-free pasta
- Chickpea Tapas: Mix 1/4 cup canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed), with capers and green olives with chopped sausage (free of FODMAPs such as garlic or onions), 1/4 stalk celery, parsley and ci, antro. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper; top with manchego cheese.
- Kale-Quinoa Bowl – ***use only green tips of scallions. All other ingredients are low-FODMAP.
- American Potato Salad: Stir together 1-2 Tbsp. mayo with 1 tsp. parsley, 1 Tbsp. relish and 1 tsp. mustard. Toss with 1 boiled quartered potato, and sliced celery (1/4 stalk). Fold in 1 chopped hard-boiled egg; season with salt and pepper.
Thank to all the recipes and websites that inspired this post: