How to Start an Awesome Food Blog, Part 1
What is your story? Do you love food and want to share it with the world? Did someone inspire you to learn how to cook or did you teach yourself? Do you find yourself thinking about creating a new dish or trying the newest restaurant in town? Do food and wine documentaries like A Year in Burgundy or Chef’s Table (incredible series – my favorite) excite you more than the next big flick? Do you find yourself snapping photos of your food in restaurants or at home? Is your Instagram stream full of famous chefs , food magazines and food photographers? When you travel, are you most excited about the food you’ll eat? Do you go to farmers markets or comb little shops and specialty food stores for new foods? Do you appreciate photos that bring out the color and texture of a food? Do you appreciate when a photograph can really tell the story of a dish through the styling techniques and how the photographer was able to make you hungry and wishing you were eating that very dish? Do you want to inspire others to eat deliciously or eat healthfully?
You might be ready for your own food blog.
Yes there are many, many food blogs. Back in 2012, Rebeca of takingthekitchen.com shared that Technorati.com estimated there were 16,588 food blogs in existence – and today? Who knows. That should not discourage you though. Why? Think of ALL your personal experiences with food, all the ingredients that exist in the world, ALL the cuisines, cultures, chefs and non-chefs, taste preferences, and personal stories connected to food. It’s a great big opportunity for you to create a niche subject, and have a very niche blog.
“But hold up – I want to write about gluten-free foods (or fill in other subject), and so many gluten-free blogs exist!”
Yup that’s true, however, your story is probably much different from the other bloggers. Your thoughts, tastes, favorite dishes and style of photography is different. You’ve traveled different places. You were raised and influenced differently. All of your experiences will shape what you can ultimately share on your food blog. That is what makes you unique.
So how do you go about finding inspiration for what to write about?
I’ve got a few tips and ideas to help you get the gears moving in that fascinating brain of yours.
Finding Inspiration for Your Awesome Food Blog
Get out an 8.5 x 11 piece of blank paper. I find writing things down is a better means of finding inspiration rather than typing it somewhere on your phone -but do what works best for you. Answer the questions below:
- Write down your full name
- If tomorrow was your last day on earth, what would you want to eat?
- What was your favorite dish growing up?
- Are there any topics about food that really move you? Like food safety, GMO labeling, nutrition, obesity and weight, nutrition and healthy foods for kids, veganism, diet and disease, food allergies, food intolerances, gluten and wheat, the ethical treatment of animals, or any others?
- Name a favorite restaurant that you frequent and why.
- Describe your best experience at a restaurant – write down the name of the restaurant, the food you ate, the way the food tasted, the presentation of the food, the wine you drank (if any), the people you were with, the weather and how that day/night makes you feel now
- Who in the cooking or baking world do you look up to and why?
- What is your favorite cookbook(s)?
- How do you want to inspire people?
- What are your best culinary skills – what can you teach others?
Answer these questions and you may just be on your way to your new food blog! I’d love to hear from you so please comment below and share your ideas!
If you’re ready to get started on your own food blog right now, check out BlueHost.com for domains and hosting
Love Us, Follow Us and Subscribe! Click on the links below:
Looking for help on the low-FODMAP diet? Ask me about my nutritional coaching services by contacting me here.
Be good to yourself and your gut!